This is the only before picture I have of it actually in place. It will likely freeze up again this winter, because it doesn't have a storm window. However it's been cleaned up immensely, and the weatherstripping has been replaced.
I hate using tape when I'm painting. For some reason I find it so incredibly tedious, and I would rather scrape away excess.
Scrape, scrape, scrape.
And finally, here it is back in it's place!
Last night with Meowzer.
It's far from perfect. And although the process was tedious, it was much easier than I was expecting. This is definitely something that the average do-it-yourselfer can do. Although hard to tell from the pictures (which is turning everything more yellow), the colour is Country Dairy by Behr. Because we were just doing the one window for now, we purchased one of their sample sized pots rather than a full quart.
The frame and casing still need some work. I'm hoping that the top coat is shellac because that will be the easiest fix.
It also needs a proper latch - it's currently being held in place with a golf tee. The surface mounted slide bolt that was there when we moved in was not the right fit, and I don't want to drill imperfect holes into my newly restored window sash. I think a transom latch with a universal catch will do the trick...but at $15 - $20 each...the golf tee will do for now (or a long time).
Here's a side by side to end the post: