Of course, in true "let's just wing it" fashion, I did make some mistakes by not following the directions. After reading the tutorial a few times I declared, "I got this!" and proceeded to get to work.
Things I didn't use, which would have made things better:
- glue gun
- no sew hemming tape
I also made the hem in the wrong order. According to the tutorial, you should make your hems on the side nice and even before attaching your blinds. I did it after, and the back looks messy. I will eventually add some fabric to the back to hide the mess and make the whole thing look more finished.
I picked up 2 meters of on-sale fabric at Fabricland ($5/meter!). Again, this happened to be outdoor fabric which worked fine for this application.
I won't go into any details on how I did this, because the author at 365 Days to Simplicity deserves the credit for making a great tutorial.
I plan on eventually making these for my living room and kitchen as well.